Department of Mathematics
Faculty of Science
Linear Algebra II
- Fall semester 2017
- Course: MATH 2051
- Course record number: 40939
- Instructor: Y. Sommerhäuser
- Time: Mon, Tue, Thu 1:00 pm-1:50 pm
- Room: SN 1019
- Office hours of Y. Sommerhäuser: Mon, Wed, Fri 3:00 pm-4:30 pm and by appointment
- Textbook: H. Anton/C. Rorres: Elementary Linear Algebra, Applications Version, 11th ed., Wiley, Hoboken, 2014
- Outline: We will cover Chapters 4, 5, 6, and 8 of the textbook. Chapter 8 will be covered directly after Chapter 4. Time permitting, we will also cover Chapter 7. The main topics of the course will be general vector spaces, general linear transformations, eigenvectors and eigenvalues, diagonalization, inner products, and orthogonality.
- Exams: There will be a midterm exam and a comprehensive final exam. The midterm exam takes place on Thursday, October 12. The final exam takes place on Wednesday, December 13 from 9:00 am to 12:00 m in our usual classroom SN 1019.
- Homework: Beginning in the second week, a weekly exercise sheet will be handed out. We will form groups of up to three, preferably exactly three, students, who solve these exercises together. The group solution has to be submitted in class on the following Monday. There will be no exercise sheet during the week of the midterm exam and no exercise sheets during the last two weeks of the semester. In addition, a reading assignment from the textbook will be given in every lecture.
- Prerequisites: MATH 1000 (Calculus I) and MATH 2050 (Linear Algebra I)
- Examination criteria: The final mark will be computed using the following weights.
- Homework: 20 percent
- Midterm exam: 30 percent
- Final exam: 50 percent
- Policies: Eating, drinking, and smoking is not permitted in the classroom. You are expected to be present at every class meeting, from the beginning to the end. Attendance will be taken and used to make decisions in borderline cases. The use of electronic devices, especially cellphones, calculators, and laptop computers, is not permitted without explicit permission of the instructor. Electronic devices have to be turned off completely.
- Exercise sheets:
Last modified: November 20, 2017