Department of Mathematics
Faculty of Science
- Winter semester 2018
- Course: MATH 6324
- Course record number: 89099
- Instructor: Y. Sommerhäuser
- Time: Tue, Thu 10:30 am-11:45 am
- Room: ED 4010
- Office hours of Y. Sommerhäuser: Tue 12:15 pm-1:15 pm, Thu 4:00 pm-5:00 pm, and by appointment
- Textbook: J. E. Humphreys: Introduction to Lie Algebras and Representation Theory, Grad. Texts Math., Vol. 9, Springer, Berlin, 1972
- Outline: The course covers the first three chapters of the textbook. Important topics covered are quotient Lie algebras, homomorphism theorems, solvability, nilpotency, Engel's theorem, Lie's theorem, Cartan's criteria, root spaces, root systems, Weyl groups, Cartan matrices, and Dynkin diagrams.
- Examinations: There will be a midterm examination and a comprehensive final examination. The midterm examination takes place on Thursday, February 15. The final examination takes place on Thursday, April 12, from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm in HH 3013.
- Homework: Beginning Tuesday of the second week, a weekly exercise sheet will be handed out. This has to be submitted in class on the following Tuesday. There will be no exercise sheet during the week of the midterm examination and no exercise sheets during the last two weeks of the semester. In addition, a reading assignment from the textbook will be given in every lecture.
- Examination criteria: The final mark will be computed using the following weights.
- Homework: 30 percent
- Midterm exam: 20 percent
- Final exam: 50 percent
- Exercise sheets:
Last modified: April 8, 2018