Department of Mathematics
Faculty of Science
- Winter semester 2017
- Course: MATH 4321
- Course record number: 86907
- Instructor: Y. Sommerhäuser
- Time: Mon, Wed, Fri 12:00 m-12:50 pm
- Room: HH 3015
- Start date: The course will begin on Monday, January 9, 2017. The lecture of Friday, January 6 will be postponed to a later date.
- Office hours of Y. Sommerhäuser: Mon, Fri 1:00 pm-3:00 pm and by appointment
- Textbook: J. J. Rotman: An Introduction to the Theory of Groups, 4th ed., Grad. Texts Math., Vol. 148, Springer, Berlin, 1995
- Outline: The course covers selected parts of the Chapters 1 to 5 of the textbook. Time permitting, parts of Chapter 6 will also be covered. Furthermore, the abstract concepts developed in these chapters will be illustrated by examples taken from Chapters 8 and 9 of the book. Important topics covered are subgroups, Lagrange's theorem, the isomorphism theorems, Sylow's theorems, symmetric groups, solvable and nilpotent groups, and the Jordan-Hölder theorem. Time permitting, we will cover linear groups and the Mathieu groups.
- Exams: There will be a midterm exam and a comprehensive final exam. The midterm exam takes place on Monday, February 27. The final exam takes place on Wednesday, April 12, from 9:00 am to 12:00 m in the same room as the class meetings.
- Homework: Beginning Monday, January 16, a weekly exercise sheet will be handed out. This has to be submitted in class on the following Monday. There will be no exercise sheet during the week of the midterm exam and no exercise sheets during the last two weeks of the semester. In addition, a reading assignment from the textbook will be given in every lecture.
- Prerequisite: MATH 3320 (Abstract Algebra)
- Examination criteria: The final mark will be computed using the following weights.
- Homework: 20 percent
- Midterm exam: 30 percent
- Final exam: 50 percent
- Exercise sheets:
Last modified: April 6, 2017