Department of Mathematics
Faculty of Science
Introduction to Complex Analysis
- Fall semester 2018
- Course: MATH 3210
- Course record number: 56274
- Instructor: Y. Sommerhäuser
- Time: Tue, Thu 10:30 am-11:45 am
- Room: HH 3015
- Office hours of Y. Sommerhäuser: Mon, Wed, Fri 3:15 pm-4:45 pm and by appointment
- Textbook: J. W. Brown/R. V. Churchill: Complex Variables and Applications, 7th ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 2004 (required resource)
- Outline: The course examines complex numbers, analytic functions of a complex variable, differentiation of complex functions and the Cauchy-Riemann equations, complex integration, Cauchy's theorem, Taylor and Laurent series, residue theory and applications.
- Exams: There will be a midterm exam and a comprehensive final exam. The midterm exam takes place on Thursday, October 18 during regular class time in our usual classroom. The final exam takes place on Wednesday, December 5, from 9:00 am to 12:00 m, also in our usual classroom.
- Homework: Beginning Tuesday of the second week, a weekly exercise sheet will be handed out. This has to be submitted in class on the following Tuesday. There will be no exercise sheet during the week of the midterm exam and no exercise sheets during the last two weeks of the semester. In addition, a reading assignment from the textbook will be given in every lecture.
- Prerequisite: MATH 3000 (Real Analysis I)
- Examination criteria: The final mark will be computed using the following weights.
- Homework: 25 percent
- Midterm exam: 25 percent
- Final exam: 50 percent
- Policies: Eating, drinking, and smoking is not permitted in the classroom. You are expected to be present at every class meeting, from the beginning to the end. Attendance will be taken and used to make decisions in borderline cases. The use of electronic devices, especially cellphones, calculators, and laptop computers, is not permitted without explicit permission of the instructor. Electronic devices have to be turned off completely.
- Notes on complex numbers by Shannon Sullivan.
- Exercise sheets:
Last modified: November 29, 2018