Department of Mathematics
Faculty of Science
Introductory Number Theory
- Fall semester 2017
- Course: MATH 3370
- Course record number: 56284
- Instructor: Y. Sommerhäuser
- Time: Mon, Wed, Fri 2:00 pm-2:50 pm
- Room: SN 3060
- Office hours of Y. Sommerhäuser: Mon, Wed, Fri 3:00 pm-4:30 pm and by appointment
- Textbook: D. E. Rideout: MATH 3370 Course Manual, Memorial University, St. John's, 2004
- Outline: The course covers at least the first six chapters of the textbook. Topics covered are primes and perfect numbers, the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, congruences, the Chinese remainder theorem, and the structure of the multiplicative group of the integers modulo m. Time permitting, additional chapters of the textbook will be covered, for example applications of number theory to cryptography.
- Exams: There will be a midterm exam and a comprehensive final exam. The midterm exam takes place on Wednesday, October 18. The final exam takes place on Saturday, December 9 from 9:00 am to 12:00 m in SN 2041.
- Homework: Beginning in the second week, a weekly exercise sheet will be handed out. This has to be submitted in class on the following Monday. There will be no exercise sheet during the week of the midterm exam and no exercise sheets during the last two weeks of the semester. In addition, a reading assignment from the textbook will be given in every lecture.
- Prerequisite: MATH 2320 (Discrete Mathematics)
- Examination criteria: The final mark will be computed using the following weights.
- Homework: 25 percent
- Midterm exam: 25 percent
- Final exam: 50 percent
- Policies: Eating, drinking, and smoking is not permitted in the classroom. You are expected to be present at every class meeting, from the beginning to the end. Attendance will be taken and used to make decisions in borderline cases. The use of electronic devices, especially cellphones, calculators, and laptop computers, is not permitted without explicit permission of the instructor. Electronic devices have to be turned off completely.
- Exercise sheets:
Last modified: November 20, 2017