Faculty and staff
- Spring semester 2009
- Course: MA 110
- Instructor: Y. Sommerhäuser
- Schedule for MA 110 105:
- Time: Tue, 12:30 pm-13:45 pm, Thu, 12:30 pm-13:45 pm
- Room: ILB 370
- Schedule for MA 110 109:
- Time: Tue, 11:00 am-12:15 pm, Thu, 11:00 pm-12:15 pm
- Room: ILB 370
- Office hours of Y. Sommerhäuser:
Tue, 10:00 am-11:00 am, Thu, 10:00 am-11:00 am, Fri 11:00 am-12:00 m
- Textbook: D. B. Johnson/T. A. Mowry:
Mathematics-A practical odyssey, Brooks/Cole, Belmont, 2008
We cover the sections 1.1-1.3, 2.1-2.4, 3.1-3.6, 4.1-4.4 of the textbook.
Time permitting, additional material may be included.
- Test 1: Tue, Feb 17
- Test 2: Thu, Mar 26
- Final: MA 110 105: Thu, May 7, 1:00 pm-3:00 pm, MA 110 109: Tue, May 5, 10:30 am-12:30 pm
- Examination criteria: The final grade will be computed using the following weights.
- Attendance: 5 percent
- Online homework: 15 percent
- Quizzes: 15 percent
- Test 1: 20 percent
- Test 2: 20 percent
- Final Exam: 25 percent
- A: 90 percent (or better)
- B: 80 percent (or better)
- C: 70 percent (or better)
- D: 60 percent (or better)
Attendance is required and contributes to the final grade. Three classes may be missed without affecting this grade. Absence in more than half of the classes results in failing the whole course.
The daily homework assignment will consist of a reading assignment and a problem assignment. About half of the daily problem assignment has to be completed
online via WebAssign. The time frame for this completion begins after the lecture in which the problem was assigned, and ends before the next lecture. The homework problems and the textbook examples that appear in the reading assignment form the basis for the quiz problems and the test problems.
Every week, there will be a short quiz. No make-up quizzes will be offered. However, the two lowest quiz grades will be dropped.
Eating, drinking, and smoking is not permitted in the classroom. The use of electronic devices such as laptops, i-pods, cellphones, or calculators is not allowed unless explicitly stated by the professor. Cellphones may be brought to class, but must be completely off and stowed away. They must not be used during class at any time.
- Tutoring: Mathematics tutors are available at no charge in the
tutoring laboratory in ILB 456.
Syllabus for MA 110 105.
Syllabus for MA 110 109.