Faculty and staff
- Fall semester 2011
- Course: MA 490/MA 540
- Section: 101
- Instructor: Y. Sommerhäuser
- Time: Mon, Wed, 14:30 pm-15:45 pm
- Room: ILB 345
- Office hours of Y. Sommerhäuser:
Mon, Wed, Fri, 12:25 am-13:25 pm
- Textbook: W. Kühnel:
Differential Geometry: Curves-Surfaces-Manifolds, 2nd ed., Stud. Math. Libr., Vol. 16, Am. Math. Soc., Providence, 2006,
We cover Chapters 2, 3, and 4 of the textbook.
- Test 1: Wed, Sep 28
- Test 2: Wed, Oct 26
- Final: Mon, Dec 12, 15:30 pm
- Examination criteria: The final grade will be computed using the following weights.
- Homework: 30 percent
- Test 1: 20 percent
- Test 2: 20 percent
- Final Exam: 30 percent
- A: 90 percent (or better)
- B: 80 percent (or better)
- C: 70 percent (or better)
- D: 60 percent (or better)
On Wednesday, a weekly exercise sheet will be handed out, containing three or four problems.
This has to be completed until the next Wednesday. While it is allowed to collaborate on the problems, every
student is required to write up his solution in his own words.
Attendance is required. Eating, drinking, and smoking is not permitted in the classroom. The use of electronic devices such as laptops, i-pods, cellphones, or calculators is not allowed unless explicitly stated by the professor. Cellphones may be brought to class, but must be completely off and stowed away. They must not be used during class at any time.
- Exercise sheets: