Faculty and staff
- Fall semester 2008
- Course: MA 227
- Instructor: Y. Sommerhäuser
- Schedule for MA 227 101:
- Time: Mon, 10:10 am-11:00 am, Tue, 9:30 am-10:20 am, Wed, 10:10 am-11:00 am, Thu, 9:30 am-10:20 am
- Room: ILB 235
- Schedule for MA 227 102:
- Time: Mon, 12:20 am-1:10 pm, Tue, 12:30 am-1:20 pm, Wed, 12:20 am-1:10 pm, Fri, 12:20 am-1:10 pm
- Room: ILB 235
- Office hours of Y. Sommerhäuser:
Mon, 10:30 am-12:15 pm, Tue, 10:50 am-12:20 pm, Wed, 10:30 am-12:15 pm,
Thu, 10:45 am-11:45 am
- Textbook: J. Stewart:
Calculus: Early transcendentals, 5th ed., Brooks/Cole, Belmont, 2003
We cover Chapter 12-16 in the textbook almost completely.
- Test 1: MA 227 101: Thu, Sep 25, MA 227 102: Fri, Sep 26
- Test 2: MA 227 101: Thu, Oct 30, MA 227 102: Fri, Oct 31
- Final: MA 227 101: Fri, Dec 5, 10:30 am, MA 227 102: Fri, Dec 5, 1:00 pm
- Examination criteria: The final grade will be computed using the following weights.
- Attendance: 5 percent
- Online homework: 15 percent
- Quizzes: 15 percent
- Test 1: 20 percent
- Test 2: 20 percent
- Final Exam: 25 percent
- A: 85 percent (or better)
- B: 75 percent (or better)
- C: 65 percent (or better)
- D: 55 percent (or better)
Attendance is required and contributes to the final grade. Four classes may be missed without affecting this grade. Absence in more than half of the classes results in failing the whole course.
The daily homework assignment will consist of a reading assignment and a problem assignment. One or two problems of the daily problem assignment have to be completed
online via the eCompanion of the course at http://usaonline.southalabama.edu. The time frame for this completion begins after the lecture in which the problem was assigned, and ends at 11:30 pm on the same day. The homework problems and the textbook examples that appear in the reading assignment form the basis for the quiz problems and the test problems.
Every week, there will be a short quiz. No make-up quizzes will be offered. However, the two lowest quiz grades will be dropped.
Eating, drinking, and smoking is not permitted in the classroom. The use of electronic devices such as laptops, i-pods, cellphones, or calculators is not allowed unless explicitly stated by the professor.
- Tutoring: Mathematics tutors are available at no charge in the
tutoring laboratory in ILB 456.
Syllabus for MA 227 101.
Syllabus for MA 227 102.