Faculty and staff
- Spring semester 2008
- Course: MA 126
- Instructor: Y. Sommerhäuser
- Schedule for MA 126 002:
- Time: Tue, 11:00 am-12:15 am, Wed, 10:10 am-11:00 am, Thu, 11:00 am-12:15 am
- Room: ILB 465
- Schedule for MA 126 003:
- Tue, 9:30 am-10:45 am, Wed, 9:05 am-9:55 am, Thu, 9:30 am-10:45 am
- Room: ILB 465
- Office hours of Y. Sommerhäuser:
Tue, 12:45 pm-2:15 pm, Wed 11:15 am-2:15 pm, Thu, 12:45 pm-2:15 pm
- Textbook: J. Stewart:
Calculus: Early transcendentals, 5th ed., Brooks/Cole, Belmont, 2003
We cover the majority of the material from Chapter 5-11 in the textbook, with the exception of Chapter 9, which is not treated. Furthermore, Appendix E is covered.
- Test 1: Thu, February 14
- Test 2: Thu, March 20
- Final: MA 126 002: Tue, April 29, 10:30 am, MA 126 003: Thu, May 1, 10:30 am
- Examination criteria: The final grade will be computed using the following weights.
- Attendance: 5 percent
- Quizzes: 15 percent
- Test 1: 25 percent
- Test 2: 25 percent
- Final Exam: 30 percent
- A: 85 percent (or better)
- B: 75 percent (or better)
- C: 65 percent (or better)
- D: 55 percent (or better)
Attendance is required and contributes to the final grade. Four classes may be missed without affecting this grade. Absence in more than half of the classes results in failing the whole course.
The daily homework assignment will consist of a reading assignment and a problem assignment. The homework problems and the textbook examples that appear in the reading assignment form the basis for the quiz problems and the test problems.
Every week, there will be a short quiz. No make-up quizzes will be offered. However, the two lowest quiz grades will be dropped.
Eating, drinking, and smoking is not permitted in the classroom. The use of electronic devices such as laptops, i-pods, cellphones, or calculators is not allowed unless explicitly stated by the professor.
- Tutoring: Mathematics tutors are available at no charge in the
tutoring laboratory in ILB 456.