Faculty and staff
- Fall semester 2010
- Course: MA 126
- Instructor: Y. Sommerhäuser
- Schedule for MA 126 106:
- Time: Mon, 11:05 am-11:55 am, Tue, 11:00 am-11:50 am, Wed, 11:05 am-11:55 am,
Thu, 11:00 am-11:50 am
- Room: LSCB 43
- Schedule for MA 126 107:
- Time: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, 12:20 am-1:10 pm
- Room: Mon, Wed, ILB 405, Tue, Thu, ILB 370
- Office hours of Y. Sommerhäuser:
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, 10:00 am-11:00 am
- Textbook: J. Rogawski:
Calculus: Early transcendentals, 1st ed., W. H. Freeman, New York, 2008
We cover the majority of the material from Chapter 5-11 in the textbook, with the exception of Chapter 9, which is not treated.
- Test 1: Thu, Oct 7
- Test 2: Thu, Nov 4
- Final: MA 126 106: Mon, Dec 13, 10:30 am, MA 126 107: Sat, Dec 11, 1:00 pm
- Examination criteria: The final grade will be computed using the following weights.
- Attendance: 5 percent
- Online homework: 15 percent
- Quizzes: 15 percent
- Test 1: 20 percent
- Test 2: 20 percent
- Final Exam: 25 percent
- A: 90 percent (or better)
- B: 80 percent (or better)
- C: 70 percent (or better)
- D: 60 percent (or better)
Attendance is required and contributes to the final grade. Four classes may be missed without affecting this grade. Absence in more than half of the classes results in failing the whole course.
The daily homework assignment will consist of a reading assignment and a problem assignment. One or two problems of the daily problem assignment have to be completed
online via the eCompanion of the course at http://usaonline.southalabama.edu. The time frame for this completion begins after the lecture in which the problem was assigned, and ends one hour before the next lecture. The homework problems and the textbook examples that appear in the reading assignment form the basis for the test problems.
Every week, usually on Thursday, there will be a short quiz. No make-up quizzes will be offered. However, the two lowest quiz grades will be dropped.
Eating, drinking, and smoking is not permitted in the classroom. The use of electronic devices such as laptops, i-pods, cellphones, or calculators is not allowed unless explicitly stated by the professor.
- Tutoring: Mathematics tutors are available at no charge in the
tutoring laboratory in ILB 456.
Syllabus for MA 126 106.
Syllabus for MA 126 107.