This and other letters were sent to the Methodist Missionary Society in England from Newfoundland in the early 1800's. The letters are now archived at the Methodist Missionary Society, although microfilm copies can be found at the United Church Archives in Toronto, Ontario under location number "87.225C".

20 July 1819 - Ninian Barr - Trinity, Newfoundland

As the Committee requires abstracts from the journals of their Missionaries I shall give you that part of mine which applies to my journey from the District Meeting held in St. John's by the way of Port de Grave to Trinity my present residence.

05 June 1819, Saturday

The Meeting being concluded all of us were determined not to lose a moment in getting to our appointments. A schooner being about to sail for Port de Grave Brothers Thomas and James Hickson and I got on board. We were not long under way before I fell under the dominion of my constant companion when travelling by water, sea sickness, Brother James not much better, Brother Thomas only squeamish. As we should have been worse by going below we lay down on the deck. There Brother James & I continued till midnight when the cold drove us into the Cabin. There were some boxes on the floor on which we lay the best way we could till after a passage of 24 hours we got safe into Port de Grave. Brother Thomas Hickson the only Brother able preached in our chapel to a pretty good congregation at 4 o'clock PM.

07 June 1819, Monday

The people being all very busy either in the fishery or preparing for it we took a small boat ourselves and crossed the Harbour. Our passage was about a mile and a half and though after we got out the wind blew very fresh and was right a head we got our very will. It is very common for the Methodist Missionaries in Newfoundland not only to try at the oar but to be hewers of wood and drawers of water.

09 June 1819, Wednesday

We returned to Port de Grave. In the afternoon I packed up my books and clothes. On Thursday 10 we got to Harbour Grace - a walk of from 12 to 14 miles. The walking was very indifferent and the sun shone hot. On Friday 11 I walked to Carbonear - Brother Pickavant not yet returned from St. John's.

12 June 1819, Saturday

I set of for Blackhead. The rain fell in torrents and I had no company. After walking through the wood I suppose 14 miles I got to the end of my journey, well wet well tired & very hungry. I was glad to find that Brothers Walsh & Pickavant had got here before me. They had sailed the preceeding day from the other side of the Bay for Carbonear but the wind not suffering them to gain that Harbour they bore away and landed at this place.

My Sunday was employed in preaching live at Western Bay and meeting the class. It rained all the day so that I was wet in going to this place and in returning from it again. The rain continuing I could not well proceed on my way to Trinity. Indeed travelling by land is now very unpleasant. If it rains the paths flood like brooks. If it be fine it is so hot that one can hardly walk & the only company we can get is swarms of mosquitos by which the traveller is often so dreadfully bit as for a time to lose the use of his eyes and is often so disfigured that his friend can hardly recognize his face.

Incidentally some people intended going to Backlew. They engaged to put me ashore at Lower Island Cove. We set off about 11 o'clock at night and by day break I was in [???]. Having got to Old Perlican and having no opportunity to cross over to Trinity I was under the necessity of remaining in the Island Cove circuit till the 26th. During this time I preached frequently, buried a person who died of the Typhus fever, visited several families who had been much afflicted by this disorder - all of them recovering & I [?????] by their afflictions. Nor must I forget to mention the joining in the hand of matrimony Brother Thomas Hickson & Miss [Jane ?] Garland.

26 June 1819, Saturday

At last an opportunity offering by which to cross the Bay. I embraced it and after a pleasant passage of 5 hours I got safely to Trinity.

27 June 1819, Sunday

I preached in the Courthouse (the Chapel not being ready) to a good congregation. I had room for no more.

[Home] [Mail]